New people are discovering pickleball all the time! Yet, as the game’s popularity increases, many gyms, training venues, and public sporting grounds still don’t have pickleball nets readily available. That’s why having a portable pickleball net is essential for anyone wanting to improve their game and play matches without the restriction of a permanent location.
Whether you’re new to the sport or have been playing pickleball for years, owning a good net system is invaluable. We’re going to give you the rundown on how to choose the best portable pickleball net for you!
Benefits Of A Portable Pickleball Net
Pickleball combines elements of tennis, ping-pong, and badminton, using just paddles, a ball, and a net. Permanent net systems can oftentimes be difficult and time-consuming to set up and break down, while also costing a lot more than portable nets.
Investing in your own portable pickleball net from North State Resurfacing can have long-term and positive effects on your game.
Here are some of the benefits of owning a portable pickleball net system:
- Cost-efficient: The price of a portable pickleball net is a fraction of its permanent counterpart. You’ll find that where a permanent net might be priced in the upper hundreds or low thousands, portable pickleball nets are usually priced low hundreds.
- Convenient: Whether you’re meeting up for a few games at a friend’s house or bringing the family to a local park to play for the day, the ease of owning a portable pickleball net can’t be matched. They are lightweight, making them easy to carry. With a less complicated set-up system than permanent nets, portable pickleball nets are set up in as little as 10 minutes.
- Versatile: You can be in your own backyard playing pickleball one day, then a week later find yourself on vacation setting your portable pickleball net up on the beach. A portable pickleball net can be packed in your luggage for a trip or set up at a favorite local spot, there’s no limit to the places and variety of environments where you can play a game of pickleball with a portable net.
What To Look For When Buying A Portable Pickleball Net System?
When shopping for a portable pickleball net, there are several factors to consider before making your purchase. You can buy an entry-level portable net that takes just a few minutes to set up and you can play pickleball more frequently thanks to lightweight net systems.
Here’s what to look for when shopping for the best portable pickleball nets:
- Regulation guidelines
- Overall quality
Pickleball Net vs Tennis Net
Pickleball nets are 36 inches tall on the outer sides of the net and stand 34 inches tall at the center of the net. In contrast, tennis nets are 36 inches tall at the center of the net. While the 2-inch difference may not sound like a lot, it makes a huge difference during pickleball gameplay. The length of a pickleball net should be 21 feet and 9 inches across. Whereas tennis nets stand 33 feet wide for singles and 42 feet wide for doubles.
Pickleball net dimensions aren’t the only difference from tennis net systems. Tennis net posts are heavier and thicker, making it impossible for portable travel. Pickleball net posts are lightweight and portable, making pickleball the ideal on-the-go sport.
The Net Design
Pickleball nets can have different design features. When considering your net purchase, there are different color choices to suit your preference. From classic white or black to colorful green or orange, your portable net and carrying bag should be something you are proud to carry and set up for your friends and family to enjoy. The Douglas Portable Pickleball Net with Carrying Bag has a modern, vibrant, and sporty design appeal.
The look of your portable net is not the only design feature to consider. Consider if the portable pickleball net has convenient pockets to hold balls and if the velcro straps and net cord create enough net tension to play a good game. A high-quality pickleball net will have a metal frame that makes the basic net system more durable and sturdy, allowing you to focus on the game itself rather than snags that come up with a less reliable, saggy net.
The Net’s Weight
Portable pickleball nets are convenient, lightweight, and designed for transport from location to location, allowing versatility in when and where you play pickleball. Permanent, bulky, or heavy nets are not realistic to own if you don’t have a permanent court to play at.
Portable nets are about half the weight, often weighing between 15-50 pounds. The Wilson Portable Pickleball Net System is lightweight and folds together to make it a great choice for an attractive, durable, and regulation-sized pickleball net to own.
Adherence to USAPA Regulations
To comply with the rules set by the USA Pickleball Association, be sure to follow the specifications outlined in their rulebook.
Here’s what to look for when buying a regulation pickleball net:
- Material is made from a mesh fabric that a ball cannot easily travel through
- Inside of one post to another post should measure 22 feet
- Length is 21 feet and 9 inches from one post to another
- The height from the bottom to the top of the net edges is at least 30 inches
- The top of the net is lined with a 2-inch white tape binding over the cord or cable
Portable pickleball net system setups also benefit from having clearly defined dimensions in regulation with USAPA guidelines. Oncourt Offcourt’s MultiCourt Barrier System is perfect to pair with your regulation-size net to make sure wherever you set up your pickleball courts, you’re following all of the sport’s approved net dimensions.
Portable pickleball nets can be used on both indoor and outdoor courts. Although they should be safely stored to get the most long-term durability out of your net system, looking for materials that won’t rust or succumb to outdoor environments is a good place to start when researching the best portable pickleball nets.
Look for steal-coated poles and PE net material over polyester for a long-lasting, sturdy net. An oval frame like the Oncourt Offcourt PickleNet Pickleball System makes pickleball net setup fast while also aligning the net properly, avoiding any instances of twisting, entanglement, or net sagging that can occur with round frames.
Pickleball nets range in cost, with most of the best portable pickleball nets priced between $100-$400 dollars. Priced at $179.95, the OnCourt OffCourt 18-Foot QuickStart Maxi Net System is portable, regulation size, and incorporates the oval design featured in some of the world’s best pickleball nets. It’s clear that in order to get a high-quality net, it doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg.
If your budget allows you to invest more into your pickleball court setup, the Douglas PPS22-SQ Portable Pickleball System is one of the most comprehensive classic pickleball net systems there is with its $2,300 price tag. Knowing that there are options for more extensive net systems that include wheels and the top of the line details like the Douglas PPS22-SQ as well as cheap pickleball net options like the OnCourt OffCourt QuickStart, no matter what stage of pickleball player you are or what price bracket you’re shopping in, you have many portable net systems available to you.
Our Best Overall Pickleball Net Pick
The best-valued pickleball net for intermediate pickleball players is the PickleNet Deluxe Pickleball Net from Oncourt Offcourt, priced at $299.95, it’s perfect for any pickleball game.
- Made from 420D nylon for durable, long-lasting use
- Adjustable straps add the best net tension for your game
- Internal pockets make storage of pickleball paddles and balls convenient
- 1.5 x 3-inch oval tubing this net set is as sturdy as they come
If you have a little more to spend on your portable net system, the best overall pickleball net is a more heavy-duty version of the Deluxe. The PickleNet Deluxe Portable Pickleball Net System on Wheels comes in at $389.95. This net has all the same benefits of the PicklNet Deluxe, with some additional, bonus features.
- Hybrid aluminum and steel frame design adds lightness while maintaining sturdiness and reliability
- Automatic frame alignment makes it easy and fast to set up
- The elastic bottom net band allows for perfect tension for every game
- Lockable 4-inch wheels allow for the best portable net system there is
Shop North State For All Of Your Pickleball Equipment Needs
If you are a pickleball player looking for the best net system for portability, shop North State Resurfacing for a wide variety of pickleball nets, carry bags, and other accessories.
Regardless of your level of play, we have the best portable pickleball net for you! Call us today at (919) 365-7500 or visit our shop online for more details.
The Complete Guide to Pickleball Court Construction
Pickleball has been around since the mid-1960s, but the sport of pickleball has recently been…
Graphite vs Composite Pickleball Paddles – Pickleball Paddle Guide
When you're just starting out playing pickleball, one of the first things you should know…
What is Pickleball?
Pickleball is taking the U.S. by storm. It is a fun, social, and friendly sport…